Starting your day off with a breakfast that is low in carbs and filled with protein and healthy fiber is a key way to stay on track with your fitness and fat loss goals. Many breakfast options today are filled with simple sugars and grains which sets you up for a day filled with poor food choices. This recipe for Egg and Sausage Casserole is filled with all of the energy-packed ingredients you need to power your day, to burn fat, and to feel great. Enjoy the leftovers for lunch or dinner!
Here’s what you need…
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- ½ cup onion, chopped
- 4 links chicken sausage, sliced into ¼ inch rounds
- 2 cups broccoli, chopped
- ¾ cup shredded cheese, divided
- 8 eggs, beaten
- ¼ cup milk
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a large casserole pan with olive oil.
- In a small skillet, place the olive oil over medium heat. Add the chopped onion and cook, stirring often, for 5 minutes or until tender. Remove from heat.
- In a medium bowl combine the tender onion, chicken sausage rounds, broccoli and ¼ cup of the shredded cheese. Spread this broccoli mixture over the prepared casserole pan.
- In a large bowl combine the eggs, milk, pepper, salt and most of the remaining cheese (save a handful to sprinkle over the top of the casserole). Pour the egg mixture over the broccoli mixture in the casserole pan.
- Cover the casserole pan with foil and bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes, remove the foil, sprinkle with the remaining cheese and continue to bake, uncovered, for 15 minutes. Remove from oven, cool for 10 minutes, serve and enjoy!
Nutritional Analysis: One serving equals: 197 calories, 14g fat, 4g carbohydrate, 1g fiber, and 14g protein.